Thursday, July 1, 2010

Motorpacing...

So I think in an earlier post I said that I was borrowing a friends scooter while I'm home, if I didn't tell you I am now... So ya, I talked my dad into doing some pacing for me. For those of you who don't know what that is here's the skinny, a scooter or motorcycle or even a car sets the pace and you, being on a bike, draft off of them. It's good to build up leg speed and to simulate race speed.

So I head out to warm up and I told my dad to meet me on A1A. Well yesterday on my ride I got a flat and pulled out this long, thick thorn. So I had a decent hole in my tire from that, and something got in there 2 mins into todays ride. Flat again... I used my last CO2 yesterday and had to wait for my dad. I made him bring a pump because I knew something like this would happen... Here is a video of that.


So we fixed it and got on our way. It was a little tuff at first because getting through the traffic lights was annoying. But once we got a little north it was a straight shot. My legs felt good and I was able to get a good draft off my dad, I thought I wasn't going to be able too cause it's just so windy on the beach. We didn't go very long, we just wanted to get a feel for it and be able to read each others body language so we could be able to do it for longer sessions. Plus I'm gonna start filming some of this stuff for my omega, but that will be once we get down a solid feel for how each of us rides together. We don't want any crashes!

We did about 25 to 30 miles of a solid pace, we were going about 25 mph steady, I had him bump it up to 30 mph for a few minutes, just to test my legs. I was pretty tired from yesterdays ride. So it was a solid workout and experiment. I hope to be able to do this at least once a week from now on. It's a lot of fun and a great workout!

On another note the Tour de France starts saturday! I'm pumped, this is gonna be an awesome tour. So many big names are gonna be battling it out, and everyone is on such great form. My ex-teammate/ex-bobcat Brent Bookwalters is racing for Team BMC, he is gonna have a BIG job working for Cadel Evans. It was awesome watching Brent race the Giro, but the Tour is the mother of all races. Good luck!

Also my good friend and ex-teammate/ex-bobcat Andrew Talansky is going to the big show! Last week he won the U23 National Time Trial and has now signed a contract with Garmin-Transitions! I always knew he would make it and I'm sure we will see him in the Tour in the next two years! Way to go Andrew!

Well that's it for now, I hope everyone has a Happy 4th and I'll have a new post soon. Later...

No comments: