Monday, April 12, 2010

Racing in Alabama

So school has been in full swing again, it was great being on break and being home with the family. It was tuff to get back to doing work but now I'm back on the school schedule. The weather has been great up here, which is great because it was getting kind of depressing. I guess spring is here!

So we had to leave early friday afternoon to get to Alabama for a race. Google maps said it was about a 7 hour drive but with our stops it was a little over 8. It was gnarly to say the least... The bus ride was the usual, jokes all around and a bunch of sleeping. The occasional mini-dance party when a good tune came on the radio. Our first stop was at a Sam's club somewhere around Knoxville TN. Luckily they let us in to use the bathroom but we couldn't buy anything, which sucked cause buying in bulk is the only way to go...

Eric and I were ripping it up on the shopping carts until we left. I didn't notice the sweet winnebago in the back until I loaded this on my computer.


So we got to the hotel and all I wanted to do was sleep cause we had to get up really early. So we get in the elevator and it smells like smoke. Then we get to our floor and a wall of smoke just shoots into the elevator, this room right next to the elevator was having a major party. I'm pretty sure there was a dog fight going on it that room, it was insane... So we got in our room and the whole place reeked of smoke. So we called the front desk and asked for a new room, luckily they had one left! So we moved down to the 1st floor, it was like going to a new hotel. The room smelled good, the beds were bigger and there was a flat screen! Totally got the VIP sweet. We got settled and went to bed.

The road race started at 8 a.m. which in my opinion was way too early. Of course the start was delayed a bit because a few teams got lost. The course was really flat and fast, it was pretty flat except for a little kicker in the middle of it but it wasn't anything our guys couldn't handle. It did get really hot later on in the race so I guess that's why they tried to start at 8. I felt really good at the start and felt myself getting tired throughout the race. Every time I went to get a bottle I only got water, so I was not getting as much energy from drinking as I should have. So the last lap I kind of popped off the back but me and this huge guy from Georgia worked together and caught a few people towards the finish.

So the finish was an entire race in itself. It wasn't in the rest of the race so it was kind of a shock. It was a 2 mile climb that was as if not a little steeper than Beech, with some crazy switchbacks. I credit this to me catching back up at the finish, I don't think most people were ready for it. I heard some people actually walked it! It was nuts. Jake won our race and Lucas got like 4th or 5th. Me an Iron Mike made it in the top 20 which is good seeing as how about 30 or more started the race. Or A men did awesome with Eric getting 2nd and Peter 3rd and I think the rest were someplace in the top 10. The girls dominated as usual.

So remember how I was talking about I only got water in the feeds? Well I think I got a minor case of heat exhaustion because I was freezing cold the rest of the day. I ended not doing the TT that evening because I didn't want to die.. We pretty much dominated that too.

Lilly "Pad" told me to put ice between my legs, armpits and the back of my neck to cool down. That made me feel way better! Only got a picture of it in between my legs though...

So I got some pedialyte that night and that stuff just works wonders. If you are ever feeling dehydrated I highly recommend it! I woke up feeling like a million bucks!

So the crit was a little later in the morning so we got to sleep in some. Our race was first and most of our A women sat in the race. I got a semi-decent warmup in and felt ok, then the race started. I felt so bad the first few laps. It was so fast right from the line. Halfway through i was almost getting popped off the back but then all of a sudden, it was like a light was turned on, I felt really great! So I moved up and sat towards the front.
Lucas kept trying to get away and I was sitting at the front to let him get away. I was bringing back attacks and slowing the field down more. It was awesome, a lot of the other teams were getting really pissed cause the gap was getting bigger but that's how you race... We would be going 28 and I would get to the front and boom down to like 15. It was so funny, people were not happy. Lucas ended up getting 2nd which was good and Jake got 4th. I think that was the most fun I've had racing my bike, it was awesome!

The A men did really well, Zac won and I we had some people in the top 10. The women dominated as well! So we got a good amount of points this weekend. It was a great weekend of racing!

Eric trying to get away.


Peter trying too.


On the way home we got a blowout on the trailer. But we got it fixed in a matter of minutes.



Then we ate dinner at Panera which ruled, Moe's is good but getting a little old.


So I took a long nap on the bus and did some reading for school, it was 8 hours what else am I gonna do? Got home kind of late, showered and went straight to bed. This was a long weekend but an amazing one. So much fun, too bad this is probably my last collegiate race of the year. I can't do conference finals next weekend because I am on duty. At least this weekend rocked so I'm happy with that.

Sorry this was such a long post... If you finished it, thanks for bearing with me. So much happened I just didn't want to leave anything out. Next ones will be shorter, promise!

No comments: